4 of my houseplants

come from NASA's list of air purifying houseplants:


heart-leaf philodendron: aka Sweetheart. Variety: Cordatum. One of my favorites because of the leaf shape, living in a wide clay, textured caramel-colored pot. I water mine when the soil feels dry. Likes a light misting and indirect light (no direct sun). To clean dust off the leaves, I sprayed them with very diluted baby shampoo and then again with just tap water, and wiped dry. I don't know why yet, but the green has turned clear in some of the leaves.



golden pothos: (temporarily moved to experience some morning sunlight) Mine is faring under temporary bursts of fluorescent kitchen lighting. I water when the soil feels dry. Overwatering will yellow the leaves while insufficent watering will brown the leaves. I don't think it likes water droplets on its leaves because they left dark brown spots after a heavy misting. When I got it from the nursery the stems looked to have black scorching on the edges...not sure if that was from fertilizer. If it loses variegation, it needs more light. Pale leaves mean it's getting too much sun.




peace lily: aka spathiphyllum. Gets rid of carbon monoxide and formaldehyde. I mist this daily on the tops and bottoms of leaves. The bottoms are susceptible to red mites, so the misting will deter that. There's one sitting on the kitchen countertop and one that lives in my cubicle. I wonder which environment it will adapt to better. New leaves are growing at the base--I'm attributing that growth to 10-10-10 liquid plant food. Fluoride in tap water may cause brown tips.





English ivy: I've read this helps those suffering from allergies to air-borne mold. This one's in a pot, but I also have another one growing in an open terrarium that gets daily misting. It's been sprouting new leaves and keeps doing so. Eventually I'd like to transfer this into a big pot to reap its benefits.




Popular Posts